Small Boat Outreaches
In September 2022, YWAM MS welcomed two custom-built patrol boats to help support the delivery of healthcare and youth engagement programs in coastal communities. The 8.1 metre-long boats, affectionately named Viking I and Viking II, were generous donations of YWAM Ships Norway, and are the same design as the boats used by the Norwegian Coast Guard. They can transport teams of up to 18 people per boat with a substantial amount of medical equipment and supplies.
After consultation with community leaders, Central Provincial Health Authority, and district members, YWAM MS is collaboratively creating a new outreach model with the goal to multiply throughout the nation. The team on the boats are mutli-faceted, with activities including:
- Youth engagement (Community Activation and Participation workshops, seminars on healthy relationships, health promotion education, etc)
- Health education and services
- HIV awareness, testing, and counselling.
- Empowering local health workers to continue to serve their communities via:
- Routine childhood immunisations
- Antenatal checks
- Family planning
- Covid vaccinations
- School dental screenings.
- Small boat safety in collaboration with NMSA.
YWAM MS is recruiting health professionals including nurses, midwives, community health workers, and doctors, as well as general volunteers and experienced boat drivers, to come alongside individuals in PNG to work toward empowering healthy communities for a healthy nation.