Have you ever come to a point where ordinary life just doesn’t quite feel right anymore? Or maybe you’re feeling that God might have something different for you, but you’re not quite sure what it is. Or maybe there’s something inside of you that feels just a bit unsettled, and you’re not sure why…I feel ya. Been there, done that.
I was 29 years old with a job I loved, a house that I’d made a home, and friends that felt more like family, but something inside of me knew that God was calling me to more. But I didn’t know what it was…until a friend recommended that I do a YWAM Discipleship Training School (DTS). I thought she was crazy, and that it didn’t quite make sense. Isn’t a DTS something that 18-year-olds do? [Sidenote: The answer to this question that I later found out was yes. But a lot of older people take part in DTS as well. Praise God.]
But something inside of me (or someONE inside of me) wouldn’t let the idea go, and I decided to take the leap and see what God might do. I put my career on hold, rented out my house, and said goodbye to my friends and family for a season while I said YES to all God had for me. Was it scary? YES. Did any of it make sense? NO. Would I do it again? YES, ABSOLUTELY!
Five reasons why you should do a gap year:
If you’re feeling that nudge inside of you, I would seriously recommend that you follow it and explore what God might have for you. Here’s why:
1. Sometimes you just need a reset. Taking a year “off” might seem a bit irresponsible at first. But taking time out to rethink your life and priorities isn’t reckless. It can actually accelerate your forward into your next right step.
2. Why not? What do you have to lose? In the grand scheme of things, a year is like a drop in the bucket. If God is calling you to more, wouldn’t it be worth your while to see what might be out there?
3. God does big things. When you set aside a significant portion of time with the sole purpose to learn more about God and who He’s created you to be, you can be expectant for God to do big things! I don’t claim to know all of God’s will, but I can tell you this with certainty: He wants your faith to grow! I remember praying that God would give me my own stories like the ones that are written about in the Bible. When you step out in faith with a pure heart, those stories happen.
4. The people you meet will enrich your life forever. When you commit yourself with a group of like-minded people to grow into all that God calls you to be, amazing things happen. Imagine the type of people you meet. These people help you grow, and God uses them to shape your life.
5. If not now, then when? There really is no time like the present! You might be looking for the “perfect time.” But let’s be honest – there’s probably not going to be a perfect time. Life just keeps happening. So just go for it! Take the leap and see what God might do.
A YWAM Gap Year is a great way to set aside time to grow in your faith, develop your passions, travel, and allow God to expand your perspective.
Don’t have a full year? Our YWAM Discipleship Training School is a shorter option. It’s 22 weeks packed full of life experience, personal development, helping others, and adventure. If you’re keen (or even if you still aren’t sure, but just want a bit more info) fill out the form below, we’d love to chat with you about Gap Year options in Australia and Papua New Guinea!
Mel hails from Texas (yee haw!) and has been on staff with us for the past three years. Mel is a physiotherapist by background, and serves onboard our medical ship for 6 months of the year. Mel is passionate about caring for people and mentoring.